Oh, boy! These little boogers are amazing! Spicy and sweet all at the same time. I can’t help but chalk this up as another recipe I think my dad would enjoy! I came across this recipe on Pioneer Woman’s blog as I was searching for Super Bowl recipes. If you look really close you can see that big lumpy jalepeno hiding in the sauce. Mmm. Mmm. Mmm.
1 pound ground beef, patted into burgers
4 Tablespoons butter
1 large onion, diced
1/4 cup jarred jalepenos, sliced
1 cup barbeque sauce (I used Baby Ray’s)
1/2 cup whiskey
salt and pepper, to taste
4 slices Swiss cheese
4 slices bacon, fried and halved
4 buns, toasted
1. Pat out hamburgers into patties (size of your choice). Salt and pepper both sides of patties.
2. In a skillet, melt butter until bubbly.
3. When ready, add in hamburgers. Brown for 5 minutes per side.
4. Remove burgers from skillet and drain butter/grease into a small bowl.
5. Measure 2 Tbsp. of butter mix and return to the skillet.
6. Dump in the onions and cook until transluscent, about 4 minutes.
7. When onions are ready, pour in the whiskey slowly. Cook until the whiskey is reduced by half.
8. Dump in the jalepenos. Cook for 2 minutes.
9. Pour in barbeque sauce and reserved butter mix. Stir until well combined with peppers and onions.
10. Place hamburgers back into the skillet, turning once to coat each side of hamburgers with sauce. Reduce heat to low simmer and allow the burgers to finish cooking in the sauce.
11. While hamburgers are simmering, toast the hamburger buns.
12. When buns finish toasting, immediately add Swiss cheese and two half slices of bacon (equals one whole piece of bacon per hamburger).
13. Place hamburger patty with sauce onto the bun. Open mouth and insert! Delicious!
Note: a) If you love heat, add more peppers. If you don’t like alot of heat, just reduce the measurement of jalepenos in this recipe. b) I added the Swiss cheese and bacon to this recipe.
Adapted Source: Pioneer Woman